Domestic Violence

The Honolulu Police Department is committed to the prevention of domestic violence.

Honolulu Police Department Criminal Investigation Division: 723-3609.

Please ask to speak to a domestic violence detective.

  • All reports of domestic violence are taken very seriously.
  • Patrol officers are required to document all incidents of domestic violence.
  • Specially trained detectives in the Criminal Investigation Division investigate domestic violence cases.

Protective Orders are initiated through the Hawaii State Judiciary. If granted, the order sets guidelines aimed at protecting you.

If the defendant is not related to you and you have never lived together, please file through District Court.

If the Defendant is a family member, or has had a dating relationship with the person seeking the TRO, please file through Family Court.

Serving Your Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)

Your TRO will not officially take effect until the order is granted and filed. Once the order is filed, it is your responsibility to ensure that the respondent receives a copy of the TRO. Please take these steps:

  • Go to the police station in the same area where the respondent resides.
  • Provide police with two copies of the TRO.
  • Give the police the exact addresses where the respondent can be located and the times you would expect the respondent to be at those addresses.
  • Check with the police to find out when the respondent is served.
  • The more you help us, the more we can help you.

There is no charge for this service. Keep in mind that the TRO does not guarantee your safety. Plan for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

Safety Tips:

Tell everyone you know that you have a TRO (your employer, church leader, friends and family,schools, neighbors, etc).

Make sure everyone who watches your children is aware of the TRO. They have the right to know so they will be better prepared to protect children in their care. Inform them of who is authorized to pick up your children.

Keep a copy of your TRO with you at all times and report violations to the police immediately.

Reporting Protective Order Violations

When the TRO is violated:

Call 911 immediately to report abuse or any violation of your TRO. If you cannot get to a telephone at the time of the TRO violation, report it as soon as possible.

Show the TRO to the police and tell them how the respondent violated it.

Provide detailed information and provide as much evidence as possible.

When police officers can verify that a TRO is in effect, they will be able to make an arrest if the respondent is on or near the premises. Police officers will complete a written report even if the respondent is not arrested.

Even when the police documented the violation, you should keep your own personal record of the incident, including date, time, location and how the TRO was violated. Be sure to get the police officer's names, badge numbers and the police report number.

Honolulu Police Department Criminal Investigation Division: 723-3609.

Please ask to speak to a domestic violence detective.

Pu'uhonua Family Peace Center

1505 Dillingham Blvd, #208
Honolulu, HI 96817
Administrative Offices: 832-0855

Crisis Line: 585-7944

Domestic Violence Action Center

Hotline : Mon.-Thurs., 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Intake : Mon.-Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Ph. : 534-0040

Domestic Violence Shelters

Honolulu and Leeward Shelters - 841-0822
Windward Shelter - 528-0606
Military Shelter - 533-7125

Counseling and Support Groups

Catholic Charities Family Services - 536-1794
Child and Family Service - 521-2377
Developing Options to Violence - 532-5100
Family Peace Center - 832-0855
Family Visitation Center - 847-0015
Kapi'olani Women's Counseling Center - 983-6100
The Institute for Family Enrichment - 596-8433

Legal Assistance

Domestic Violence Action Center- 531-3771
Legal Aid Society - 536-4302
Prosecutors Office - Victim/Witness Assistance - 768-7401

What is a Protective Order?

A protective order is an order from the court which prohibits another person from contacting, threatening or abusing you or your children. In some cases, the order can extend to your employer.

How can I get a Protective Order?

If the abuser is related to you or is living with you, call the Adult Services Branch of the Family Court to apply for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The number is 538-5959.

Be prepared to describe the violence.

Once all the information is collected, you will be scheduled for an appointment. You will be told where and when to report for your TRO. Arrive promptly.

You can get the TRO the same day but the process takes about 3-4 hours. Arrange for child care while you are involved in this process.

Be specific about the protection you need. The TRO can order the abuser not to contact, threaten or abuse you or your children.

You can also request for full custody of your children until the matter is resolved in court.

You should provide an address or a location where the defendant can be found. This is necessary so that the TRO can be served on the defendant.

After the TRO is approved, you must provide two copies to the Honolulu Police Department. These should be taken to the nearest police station, preferably in the district where the defendant lives. DO THIS IMMEDIATELY AFTER LEAVING FAMILY COURT.

A TRO is not valid until it is served by the police to the defendant.

Keep a copy of the TRO with you at all times. In the event of a violation, you can show this copy to the responding officers.

For additional information on Protective Orders and TROs refer to the Protective Order / TRO tab.


What if I am not related to or living with the abuser?

If you are not related to the abuser, you must obtain a District Court Protective Order from the Honolulu District Court, 1111 Alakea St., 3rd floor. No appointment is necessary. A clerk will assist you with the forms.

What if I have a TRO but it was issued in another State?

The Full Faith and Credit provision of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) requires all states to enforce valid protection orders issued by another state. If your TRO is violated, the Honolulu Police Department is required to take action.

What do I do if my TRO is violated?

Call 911 immediately! You are required to report all violations within five minutes after the offense.

Show the police your TRO and explain how it was violated.

If there is enough evidence that the TRO was violated, the defendant will be arrested.

What do I do if no arrest is made?

Call the Victim/Witness Assistance Division of the Prosecutor's Office at 768-7401. Tell them of the violation and of the police report that you made to report it. No action will be taken by the Prosecutor's Office unless you make this call.

When the Prosecutor's Office decides that they have enough evidence, they will issue a penal summons for Contempt of Court.

How can I get Counseling and/or further assistance?

The Honolulu Police Department works closely with an organization called Pu'uhonua. Call the Pu'uhonua crisis line at 585-7944 for help.

Check under the Resources Tab for more information.

What is Pu'uhonua?

Pu'uhonua - "a place of peace and safety" - is a collaboration between Parent and Children Together, the Domestic Violence Clearinghouse and Legal Hotline and the Honolulu Police Department. It provides a one-stop service where victims of domestic violence can go to at any time to receive help in various areas. They will be able to assist you with legal help, counseling, shelters, temporary child care, etc.


Domestic Violence / TROs



Traffic Safety