HPD Latest News

Generic Story Image

Ask HPD: School Visits, Driver's Licenses

Question: How can I get officers to do a presentation for students at our school?

Answer: Officers visit dozens of schools throughout the year to address multiple topics. Popular topics and services provided include the “Say Hi” and Keiki ID programs, traffic safety awareness, bullying and cyber bulling, and career day. The HPD’s Community Affairs Division handles all speaker requests. To submit a request, visit our website ( Click on "Community" and "Speaker Requests" to fill out an online form. All requests should be submitted at least four weeks prior to the date of the event. For additional questions, you can call the Community Affairs Division at 723-3475.

Question: If a driver is asked by police to produce his license, but left it at home, is there a grace period for him to produce the license? What happens if a driver is involved in a vehicle accident and does not have his driver’s license with him?

Answer: There is no grace period. Drivers must have a license readily available at all times when operating a vehicle. Drivers can be fined $122 if they do not have their license with them. It doesn’t matter if they’re involved in an accident or not.

Question: What’s considered distracted driving?

Answer: Anything that can take your attention away from the road is considered a distraction. Common distractions include, but are not limited to, talking and texting on a cell phone, using a GPS, eating, grooming, and talking to passengers. We’ve seen how distracted driving can lead to critical and fatal accidents, so we want to encourage all motorists to drive safely.

Have a question? Email us:

Or visit our website and social media pages:

Visit our website
Send us a message on Facebook
Send us a message on Twitter
Check out our video on YouTube
Message us on Google+

Ask HPD will also air on the KHON2 News morning show, Wake Up 2Day.