HPD Latest News

Generic Story Image

Ask HPD: Malfunctioning Traffic Signals

Question: What should I do when I come to an intersection with a malfunctioning traffic signal?

Answer: If a driver comes across a malfunctioning traffic signal, he or she should treat the intersection as a four-way stop. Yield to vehicles that get to the intersection before you do. And if you get there at the same time, yield to the vehicle on your right. Please proceed with caution, as other vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians may not stop.

Question: How do I report a malfunctioning traffic signal?

Answer: To report a malfunctioning traffic signal, please call 911. Be ready to provide the street name or general location of the malfunctioning light. You can also report the malfunctioning signal to the Department of Transportation Services during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can call 768-8387 or 768-5323.

Question: Can I report it to HPD via social media?

Answer: HPD’s social media platforms are not monitored 24/7. So we ask that if you want to report something, please call 911 and a dispatcher will assist you.

Have a question? Email us:

Or visit our website and social media pages:

Visit our website
Send us a message on Facebook
Send us a message on Twitter
Check out our video on YouTube
Message us on Google+

Ask HPD will also air on the KHON2 News morning show, Wake Up 2Day.